Calderari Hoxsie Schubert Steinson Veterans Memorial ScholarshipThis scholarship was organized as a memorial dedicated to those who served in World War II and especially for the three servicemen from Westbrook who lost their lives in that war.
Purpose - The purpose of this scholarship is to assist young men and women who intend to pursue a career in the scientific or nursing field.
Criteria for Selection -
- The candidate must exhibit a good moral and ethical character.
- The candidate must display a strong interest in the sciences.
- The candidate must plan to pursue a major in some aspect of science or nursing.
- Preference is given to candidates who are planning to attend a four-year college, however, worthy candidates planning to attend a two-year college or nursing school are eligible.
- The candidate's financial need and ability to follow through will also be a consideration.
- The candidate must be a member of the Westbrook High School graduating Class.
Scholarship Board - This award is a decision of the Trustees of the Westbrook Foundation with the help of recommendations given by the principal and guidance counselor of Westbrook High School.
Procedure to Apply -
- The candidate must complete "Westbrook Foundation Application".
- The candidate must complete a 200-300 word essay that lists interest, ambitions, concerns, and/or specific plans for the future. The essay must have your social security number on the top, right-hand corner. Your name should appear only on the back of the essay.
- The candidate's official transcript needs to be attached.
- The candidate must provide two letters of recommendations.
Notification - A formal presentation of the scholarship will be given to the successful candidate at graduation. An alternate and second are chosen, but not announced, in the event that the principal recipient does not enter college.
Amount of Award - A one time award of $1,000 will be awarded to the successful candidate at the completion of their first semester if in good academic standing. This shall be determined by both the first semester as well as the cumulative GPA. (GPA 2.7 or better).
Deadline - Applications are due in the Guidance office or mailed to The Westbrook Foundation, Inc. and postmarked on or before April 1st.