Ellen S. Murphy ScholarshipPurpose - The children of Ellen S. Murphy have established a scholarship to honor the memory of their mother. Ellen Murphy taught at Westbrook High School for over 25 years. She valued her association with the school's students, staff and faculty. She enjoyed working with all of the students and was particularly gratified by those students who worked hard to improve both their academic performance and their conduct while in high school.
Criteria for Selection
- Candidates must be graduating seniors from Westbrook High School.
- Candidates must be planning to obtain a post-secondary education.
- Candidates must have improved their performance in both course work and conduct during the four years of high school.
- The financial need of the candidates is a consideration.
Scholarship Board - The award is the final decision of the Westbrook Foundation based on the recommendation of a committee made up of three faculty members and one staff member.
Procedure to Apply
- The applicant must complete the "Westbrook Foundation Application".
- The applicants must complete a 200-300 word essay: "What influences helped you to improve your standing in the high school community".
- The candidate must provide two letters of recommendations.
Notification - A formal presentation of the scholarship will be given to the successful candidate at the Senior Awards ceremony.
Amount of Award - A one-time amount of $500 will be sent to the recipient after successful completion of the first semester with a 2.7 or better semester and cumulative GPA.