Barbara Spencer Memorial Scholarships
Criteria for Selection -
- The candidate must be a good citizen and of good moral and ethical character.
- Preference is given to candidates who are planning to attend a four year college, however, worthy candidates planning to attend a two year college, technical or nursing school are also eligible to apply. Scholarship and Leadership awards require a four year college.
- The candidate must be a member of the Westbrook High School graduating class.
Scholarship Board - This award is at the decision of the Trustees of the Westbrook Foundation. The committee may confer with Westbrook High School officials in determining the eligibility of the candidates.
Procedure to Apply -
- The candidate must complete "Westbrook Foundation Application".
- The candidate must complete a 200-300 word essay that lists interests, ambitions, concerns, and/or specific plans for the future. The essay must have your social security number on the top, right-hand corner. Your name should appear only on the back of the essay.
- The candidate's official transcript needs to be attached.
- The candidate must provide two letters of recommendations.
Notification - A formal presentation of the scholarship will be given to the successful candidate at graduation. An alternate and second are chosen, but not announced, in the event that the principal recipient does not enter college.
Amount of Award -
|Scholarship||3 candidates will be selected based on the highest
1 recipient $5000 (1,250 for 4 years;
2 recipients $4000)
|Leadership||1 recipient ($5000 ($1,250 for 4 years)|
|Special Awards||$2000 ($1000 for 2 years) Presented at the discretion of the Westbrook Foundation to students wishing to further their education but who are experiencing special circumstances|
Scholarship payments to be awarded to the candidates at the completion of the first semester of each year, if in good academic standing.(2.7 GPA or better) Standing shall be determined by both the last semester transcript of grades (resubmit transcripts every year that they are eligible for awards) as well as the cumulative average of grades.
Deadline - Applications are to be mailed to The Westbrook Foundation, Inc. and postmarked on or before May 1.